Call us today on (02) 9525 4965
Moving house or moving your business to a new location is a daunting task. However with a little forethought you can make the entire process much faster and simpler. Below are some simple tips to make the whole process smoother!
If you have any questions please contact us, Steve Lavin Removals, professional removalists with 20 years of experience in Cronulla removals, Sutherland Shire removals and interstate removals.
1) Throw things away!It is usually a good idea to take stock of your possessions well before moving house. Take a hard look at what you own and decide if there is anything that should be thrown away, or donated to charity.
2) Create a list of what needs to be moved You should create a list of everything you will need to move, and determine what items might be problematic, like pianos and older heavy furniture. Let your removals company know about those items in advance.
3) Think about how you should pack your items Give special consideration to delicate items and perishables. Think about how many boxes you will need and how much packing material. Ask us for advice if you are unsure about anything.
4) Inform the removals company of any dangerous items Some common household items can be dangerous in the wrong situation. Gas cylinders, methylated spirits and thinners and paints can be dangerous. If you are transporting mowers or other gardening tools, remove the petrol and talk to us about anything you are unsure of.
5) Check the details Make sure you confirm the arrival date and time of the removals truck. Make sure your insurance is in order (talk to us to help organise transit insurance).
6) Start dismantling Look at items which need to be dismantled or are much easier to deal with when dismantled. For example your bed, baby cots, desks, gym sets, children's swings may be easier to manage when dismantled. Use plastic bags to collect screws, label everything and consider taping the screws to the item they come from.
7) Remove content from drawers and dressers
8) Pack appropriately a) Be careful about how much weight you put into each box as they do have to be lifted. b) If you have heavy items like books, spread their weight out over a few boxes. c) Don’t overfill the boxes and make sure those fragile items are well wrapped. Mark boxes with fragile items in them as “fragile”. d) Use plain paper to protect glassware instead of newspaper so you don’t get ink marks.
9) Combine related items and small items Use plastic bags to combine small objects like cords from your stereo system. Tie related items together, like your mop and broom or your 6 tennis rackets.
10) Defrost your fridge and freezer You don’t want to deal with a messy fridge and freezer which are full of ice and water while being transported. After you have removed the food, unplug them and let them defrost. If you are moving pot plants, don’t water them for a few days so they don’t spill water.
11) Mark boxes with the room they are meant to go in Use a marker and mark boxes as “Kitchen”, “Lounge room” and so on.
1) Be contactable throughout the day Make sure you have your mobile phone fully charged and make sure you will have reception in the area you are headed to. This is in case any delays occur with the removals company or any plans need to be changed by you or the removals company.
2) Keep anything you might need on the day with you If you have anything you will need to use throughout the duration of the move, keep it on you. That could include mobile phones, medication, a few toys for the kids, some food.
3) Make sure the removals truck can access your property You will need to ensure the removalist can access your property and additionally have access to the destination property. That means you should have any keys required ready and have a place for the vehicle to park.
4) Leave cleaning materials behind You may need to leave some cleaning implements behind if you are going to be cleaning the building you are leaving. You may need to leave behind some rubbish bags for miscellaneous garbage you find later on.
1) Check your items In the unlikely event that you have had a breakage, make a note of it and contact us. Check all of your boxes to ensure everything has arrived safely.
2) Reassemble everything and make sure it is all intact Check that you have all of the necessary screws and connectors.
Fill in the short form below on your relocation requirements and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.